Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Back to the hospital


Monday I had my regular labs. They were terrible. Early Tuesday we got the call to come to UCSF to be admitted and have a liver biopsy. We got here about noon and waited until about four for our room. As soon as we got here, they took me to ultrasound to mark the spot for the biopsy. It was quite a long ultrasound, They looked at all of the plumbing and tried to find a good spot for the needle biopsy. They finally decided on my right side between two ribs. They could go 2 cm to 6 cm deep. Yuck! they used a sharpie to mark an "X". But then the technician thought the mark would disappear, so he extended it to make a giant X. I may never get it off.


They were going to do it in my room. I had to be awake to cooperate (that's an oxymoron). I talked them into giving me some ativan before they numbed up the biopsy site. Then they got busy and got the sample. I looked at it. I thought it looked like a dinky piece of hamburger. The doctor thought it looked like a worm. Maybe we shouldn't be looking at this stuff. I then had to lay on that side for an hour, then my back for two hours. Then they took a blood sample to make sure I wasn't gushing blood into my gut. Then they had to wait for results. Since I had no food since dinner. only my nasty meds, I was a tad bit concerned. No breakfast, no lunch, and no one caring about dinner. Was I on Survivor or Candid Camera or something?


The squeaky wheel got some grease--but not much. I got a tray with chicken noodle soup that had been in a blender, a tiny carton of cranberry juice, and herbal tea.


I wanted to ask if my chewing abilities were impaired or even if I had teeth left. Finally the nurse got a hold of the doctor to give him a little tutorial on ordering meals and I finally got a real meal about 6.



Now the nitty gritty part--I took three tries from two nursrs to start an IV. It is on my wrist at a weird angle, but it works. The most painful part of the biopsy was the ativan going into my IV before the biopsy. It really burned! I truly didn't feel the needle getting the biopsy.


I get to come home late tomorrow. I am so grateful. There really is no place like home.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you get to go home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that didn't sound fun! I'm glad you are home and hope you are doing better! Miss you, Cathy!

    Hugs, Nina

    ReplyDelete