Saturday, November 6, 2010

A good tip

I was recently talking to Brian about taking pills. Of all the different types of pills I've taken the sodium bicarbonate has been the one of the hardest to take. Some background--it is basically baking soda. Lon went to the pharmacy to pick it up and was told it is available over the counter. Easy. Not. It took him eight trips to four different drugstores to get it. It was way affordable too. Only about $8.00 for a hundred tablets. They are bigger than an aspirin and I think I took two in the morning and two in the evening. So what was the trouble? They were not coated or compressed or something like other pills, so every time I took one they started dissolving and making my mouth nasty and gaggy. It was bad.
Back to Brian. He told me that sodium bicarbonate tablets go down easy with some vinegar. Since I am a veteran of many a Cub Scout den meeting and many science fairs, I knew immediately that when sodium bicarbonate and vinegar are mixed there is an immediate and exciting reaction--lots of foaming and bubbling and sputtering. I called him on it right away and we were both laughing over it. Can you imagine a foaming mouth full of pills? Then he got a second good idea. He thought I should do it in front of Dad and scare him. I told him I had scared Dad enough and he didn't need any more scaring.
Incidentally, I have lots of leftover sodium bicarbonate tablets. If you'd like a few....

1 comment: