Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Dietician

We just got back from the dietitian. I am still processing (or reeling from) what she said. My dietary needs include low protein, low sodium, low fat, and the latest, low potassium. It was an interesting visit. According to her I am doing OK with the salt, potassium, and fat. Protein has become an issue. Low protein means almost no meat, since many other foods contain protein. For example, bread, pasta, rice, and most things that fill you up have some protein, so if you factor in that, it doesn't leave any room for salmon, chicken, and especially beef. She recommended the "Healthy Choice" kinds of TV dinners. With the nutritional labeling and portion controlled sizes, it made sense, but they have so much other added junk that the idea of eating them several times a week creeps me out. I kind of like fresh food. The big challenge will be getting enough calories to make sure I don't just waste away (seriously).

I was also concerned with traveling. She had a handy book with nutrition information, but everything just seemed really past the amounts I should be eating. I also asked about eating at other people's houses (this is you, kids). I told her I didn't want anyone making a fuss, but she assured me people really wanted to accommodate my needs. She had a personal anecdote to add to that. She has company coming from India. They don't eat any root vegetables like potatoes or carrots because they might contribute to the death of insects that may be clinging to them. She told us she is happy to adjust her cooking to their needs. Everything that she said after that was kind of a blur. All I could picture were buggy potatoes and carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment