Thursday, November 12, 2009

Off to the doctor...again

I had an appointment with the kidney doctor yesterday. I had jotted some questions on the back of a pizza coupon and he thought the coupon was for him. He should know that I'm the only wise guy in the room.
We had a discussion about liver transplant vs. kidney/liver transplant. Conventional wisdom doesn't exist at all because there is so little experience with this fibrinogen amyloidosis. My kidney function is pretty shaky--I think I'm around 25%. The experts that I spoke with are sticking with a liver only transplant though. They think my kidneys will shape up. That's the way Lon and I are leaning too. There are less rejection issues with liver transplant, too.
We also talked about my blood pressure meds. We're trying to get the most effective combo with the fewest side effects. It's not that easy. He changed one and my hands don't have the shakes/tremors.
I also asked him about the foods I should be eating. I told him I didn't think I could handle all those TV dinners. He agreed. I'm trying for healthy, fresh, and moderation. I could be glowing!!
I asked him if he had ever seen the documentary film, "Super-Size Me." It's the true story of a guy who ate at McDonald's three meals a day for a month (I think). He kept meticulous records and was under the supervision of a doctor. He got very sick with the McShakes and the McBarfs and all sorts of McProblems. It's a very good movie, but you won't be real eager to eat at McDonalds for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment