Thursday, November 12, 2009

Kidney Awareness Class

We've been scheduled to go to this for awhile. It is a two hour class at Kaiser to encourage people that are at risk for kidney disease to help themselves a little. Since my kidney disease is so much beyond my control, the doctor said I could have a pass on this, but Lon wanted to go (wouldn't a real date have been a little better?). We went. There were about 20 people there and we received a half inch stack of information. After the visit with the dietician I was skeptical of its value, but it was actually pretty good. We learned some anatomy stuff and some eating ideas. It seemed very practical. She also passed out copies of our lab values. Mine were the worst (not exactly a good time to be at the head of the class); she wondered why I wasn't in the "Choices" class (to decide what kind of dialysis or transplant). After class I explained what I had and I guess it made a little more sense. I was the only one in there where a liver transplant would fix my kidney disease. Doesn't really make much sense, does it?

1 comment: