Thursday, February 4, 2010

THE appointment....still there

Yes, I did more things on the big appointment day. After meeting with those people it was time for some lab tests. We went to the lab to get blood drawn. The lab was huge, and obviously built in the 80's--lots of individual stations and doors and hallways and confusion. My number got called and I was off. I had a very chatty phlebotomist, and that comment coming from me carries some weight! She had to go check what the coding on my slip meant. It meant eight vials of blood. And ten minutes later one more--by a different phlebotomist. I told her I needed the little needle and she believed me. After she saw my near invisible vein, she got a little gel warming pack to put on my vein so it would pop up a little. In the meantime someone passed out in the little stall next to me and they were yelling for a doctor. Hmm...level of confidence a little shaky, however she got all eight vials with no problems, pain, or bruising. A winner! Now, why did I need another blood test only ten minutes later? It is a requirement of the organ transplant organization that potential candidates be tested for blood type twice by different phlebotomists. All those other tests throughout my life don't count. I am getting so adept at jumping through hoops.
Next was the finale, the abdominal ultrasound with doppler. I have had a couple this year. This one took much more time, and slimy goo. He poked and pressed and scooched and went all over my belly and sides and even my back. It's really amazing that they can tell so much with such a non-invasive procedure. Of course during the test he could hand out no information, but we did get to enjoy shadowy blobs that were my organs. And he did get some lovely pics of my bummer liver and kidneys. And after he was finished I asked him the big question--Is it a boy or a girl? It took him a minute, then he laughed. It takes so little to get my chuckles these days.
Finally we were through. What a day--physically and mentally draining. Of course we couldn't go straight home. We drove to the Great Highway to watch some waves, but before we go there Lon found a Burger King! Yes, my husband doesn't let me down! It would have been nice to get some real food, but nothing was more real than that hamburger right there. It was divine.....

No comments:

Post a Comment