Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Liver transplants and lab results

Currently there are many more people that need livers than livers that are available. At least half of the people who need livers have livers that have been abused by drugs and alcohol and disease because of that abuse. At the liver transplant evaluation that aspect of my lifestyle was especially scrutinized. It made me feel very uncomfortable actually. I'm used to people believing what I say, but I guess they have to treat everyone equally. So I had my first drug tests. I thought those eight vials of blood were for medical type stuff mostly. Was I ever wrong! I was tested for amphetamines, marijuana, cocaine, opiates, barbituates, methadone, oxycodone, benzodiazepines, and alcohol, as well as HIV and hepatis C. The good news, I'm clean. It still makes me feel weird though even getting tested.
They also tested my blood type, twice, once from each arm, by separate technicians. They were both the same. My GFR (glomuler filtration rate-measures how well my kidneys are working, should be greater than 60) is 26, up slightly from a couple weeks ago. My creatnine is 1.97, that should be less than 1.1. The kidneys get more gummed up all the time.

1 comment: