Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Let's rock and roll.....

After dozens of blood tests and other tests, doctor appointments, consultations, etc., etc., the decision as to what treatment was pretty much left to me. Pertinent facts: I need a liver for sure. It is making the crud gumming up my kidneys. My liver can be successfully transplanted into someone else. It has been done at least five times, and the recipient didn't get amyloidosis. Because of that I can get a high number for the transplant list and get a new liver in the next two or three months. If I want a kidney too I will have a longer wait--probably at least a year--and I will probably end up on dialysis. The doctors are unsure what my kidneys will do after the liver transplant. The doctor from Mayo Clinic told me he has only seen patients like me in kidney failure. I am close, but not there yet. He thinks my kidneys will improve. The transplant doctor thinks the immunosuppressants would nudge my kidney to failure. We don't know what damage the amyloid could be doing to my other organs.

We have decided to go for the liver only transplant as soon as possible. If my kidneys fail and I need to go on dialysis, Lon will get tested to see if we are compatible. If not, he will donate a kidney to the next person on the list and I will be able to take that person's place. I will probably be able to get it sooner than if I wait for kidney/liver. The big negative for me is two major surgeries, but the positive is that I may not need a kidney. Another positive is that if someone else gets this amyloidosis, we will have a better idea of what works.

The kids are also willing to donate a kidney. I feel so honored and blessed that they would even consider it. I hope I don't have to take them up on it.

This decision has been made with much fasting and prayer. Lon and I both feel very good and at peace about it. This is nothing we could even see coming, but already it has taught us both so much. We have seen miracles. We have no idea where this will go, but we know we're not alone in fighting this battle.

Thank you all for your prayers. That is really what's made a difference.

2 comments:

  1. Great! Let us know what we can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you've made a decision you feel good about. I'm excited for you to start getting better!

    ReplyDelete