Thursday, October 15, 2009

Another diagnosis???????

The oncologist called. The Mayo Clinic called and said I had Familial Amyloidosis-fibrinogen Alpha-chain type. What???????? This is an inherited disease and I had to have recieved the bummer gene from my Mom or Dad, but neither one had it (but remember how hard it is to diagnose--it can't be diagnosed with a blood test, it has to be a biopsy). Also there is NO history of kidney failure in my family. I then thought about my grandparents. My mom is one of six kids and my dad is one of seven. Still no clue. Three of my grandparents were born outside of the US and the geneology trail gets cold right away, but still there should be some hint of it if it is passed down to 50% of the children. And now I am totally devastated--What in the world have I done to my children and grandchildren? I am shaking and scared and guilty and crying. This is the worst possibe news. I called my friend Kevin and he thought the news was wonderful--familial amyloidosis like I have usually just involves the kidneys, so I don't have all that gruesome stuff to look forward too. And as far as cursing the kids, he said it is very, very rare that the gene expresses itself.
I am having a hard time a hard time accepting this. This is a very, very rare type of amyloidosis--we estimate that there are maybe fifty people in the US with this. I can't figure out if it gets passed 50% of the time to your offspring, and doesn't manifest until you're in your 50's, why don't more people have it. Lon and the doctors understand it, but I don't.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Cathy...poor baby! It is soooo difficult to have chronic illness with no cure. I know about that. I find "rejoicing in hope" as Paul counsels us to do is the only surviving that really works. It is wonderful to read and suffer with you Cathy dear because your strong testimony is constantly revealed and your fabulous happy countenance is encouraging to all who know you. Thanks for making this "real" for all of us who know and love you. It is wonderful to be able to share my faith with you and your loved ones in a very specific way! I am sooooo sorry for all the pain. (having said that I must reveal what we all know} PAIN is the best teacher. But oh how i long to carry some of your terrible burden. I just love you sooo much!!!!To infinity and beyond!!!!!!XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete