Thursday, July 8, 2010

New meds again




At my last appointment with the kidney doctor I was having a bad day--just felt crummier than I usually did. My anemia was worse. The kidneys produce a hormone that regulates the utilization of iron in your blood. He prescribed an artificial substitution for it. The bad news is that it must be injected every week. We picked up the prescription and went to the injection clinic so Lon could learn how to do it. Right. My squeamish husband is going to keep his eyes open long enough to give me a shot. I will admit I was in a bitter and perhaps less than cooperative mood when we went. I sort of wanted to be in the other room, but since I was getting the injection, I had to be there. The nurse taught Lon how to do it. He was very attentive, bless his heart. We both wanted her to give it to me--you know, for complete instructions. She went ahead and did it. The anticipation was much worse, and I think Lon kept his eyes open. Sadly, I got quite an impressive bruise. When it was time for the next shot, we again went to the injection clinic. Lon said he didn't want to hurt me (thank you) and wanted a nurse to give it to me to see if I bruised again. I didn't. Time comes for the third injection. Karen was visiting and she was hot to trot to give me my shot. I remember visiting her when she learned how to give shots in the BYU nursing program. We got there and she had a syringe and was squirting saline all over the place and in general was pretty maniacal about the whole new skill thing. She had the same maniacal glee when she gave me my shot. She did a great job and I didn't bruise.



I don't know who will give me my shot next week. She went home. The absolutely great news is that I do have more energy. It is great to have a little sass back!

1 comment:

  1. It is true. I think I could give the shot, but I would rather someone else do the hurting.

    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete