Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Progress


She is slowly recovering. It was really hard for her to get rest last night because the nurses came in so frequently. When she is moved out of the ICU the sleep interruptions should be less frequent; however, there is a tradeoff: The tube from which they are taking blood samples every four hours will have to be removed, meaning that every new blood test will require another needle poke.

Also, Mom has been given insulin to counteract some temporary diabetes caused by another drug she has to take.

UCSF is a teaching hospital, so there are medical students everywhere. Five minutes ago, there were four doctors and a nurse in the room, with about 15 med students gathered out in the central ICU area just outside the door.

Dr. Stock (the one who lead the transplant surgery), came by about 15 minutes ago. He had some great news! The woman who received Mom's liver is "ecstatic" and wants to meet Mom ASAP. She is currently three floors up, but in a day or two they will be on the same floor and able to visit each other's rooms. It's really miraculous.

Dr. Fix was just in the room now asking Mom about how she feels. It is really good to see that Dad doesn't have to speak for her. She is totally lucid and apparently out of her anesthesia haze She is sharp. I think she is joking with the doctors just a little more than they would like.

Anyway, when the doctor was talking to Mom I glanced over and unintentionally caught a glimpse of the very top part of the incision. It does not look as scary as I expected. (Mom wants me to report these types of details.)

12 comments:

  1. Lookin' GREAT!!!!! If anyone can get out of that hospital and on to a speedy recovery quicker than "normal", it's you Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fantastic news!! I'm so grateful things are going well! You are all in our prayers, and we're sending lots of love from Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy, You are a Power House!!! I'm glad that things are going well! Get well soon! Love, Debbie Rowland

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad things are going well! I hope it continues. I'll keep checking in. Take care.

    -Lindsey Metcalf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tidwell's....it's Jen "Kusch" Hale....I have been reading and catching up on everything. I had no idea all this was going on. WHen I sat and read everything you have been through the past several months I just sat on my couch and cried. My husband asked me what was wrong and I told him that one of my most favorite people on earth was sick. I have such fond memories of you and being at your house when I was little....some of my favorite memories involve you and your family. I want you to know how much I love you and how much I look up to you and always have. The last few days my prayers have been so fervent for you and I am so glad you are doing well. Thank you for updating this, Allen! I love you guys and will continue to pray hard for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Cathy, This is what you have been waiting for, and it's finally here. You just had to wait until the Temple was closed for 2 weeks. That's dedication for you. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. You are in our prayers, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great! Thanks for all the updates; I've been thinking of you since I heard of your surgery yesterday.

    I'm glad someone is enjoying your liver and now you get to meet her! Wow, how many people have that opportunity? ;) Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did it, Kathy!!! You were just waiting for the Temple summer closing, weren't you??

    You are in are prayers. We love you!

    Steve and Nina Black

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just spent an hour on the phone trying to get Aunt Donna to your blog. Success at last! She saw your picture and said, "Oh, bless her heart! I could just cry." She has a slow computer, dial-up internet, and is really slow herself with computer stuff. We have to walk her through it when she is on her cell phone (which just died), but I think she does pretty good for being 85 yrs. old! She sends her love. Julie is going to print all your old blogs for her to read--much easier for her. We're glad the wait is over and pray for a speedy recovery! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joking more than they'd like? Cathy? NEVER!

    Matt Shaffer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cathy, I keep calling Ben and Karen for updates on you, I am so glad that a transplant finally came through after all the waiting. How neat that the person you gave yours to is there recovering with you. I'm thinking about you and praying for "grandma Cathy"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just showed this picture to Tyler and he pointed to the side rail of the bed and said, "That you bed Mommy." He hasn't forgotten my hospital bed! I'm sure he hasn't forgotten the nifty buttons on the side either. You're lucky we're not there because those boys would take you on quite a ride on that thing. UP and DOWN. UP and DOWN. UP and DOWN.

    ReplyDelete